A Cup Final Knockout 1977
British Domestic Series
Stuart Hall and Eddie Waring
Referees: Arthur Ellis
Arranger: Paul Trerise /
Producer: Cecil Korer / Director: Geoff Wilson
A BBC North West Production
A Cup Final Knockout 1977
Cup Final Special
Event Staged: Sunday 15th May 1977 at 4.45pm
South Liverpool F.C. Football Ground (Holly Park),
Garston, Liverpool, Merseyside, England
BBC1 (GB): Saturday 21st May 1977, 12.30-1.15pm (as part of Cup Final Grandstand)
Special Guests (non-participating):
Past and present players and celebrity supporters of both teams.
Free Gift from JSFnetGB!
Download the Original Souvenir Programme from this event
Kindly donated by Neil Storer
Liverpool F.C. v. Manchester United F.C.
Team Members included:
Liverpool F.C. - John Chadwick (Team Coach), Jim Denham (Team
Captain), Abbel Hamid Bouzib, Maggie Boyle, Frank Chadwick, Billy Davies,
Barbara Denham, David Gill, John Green, Ron Hancock, Alison Pedder, Phil
Pindar, Sue Power, Margaret Pringle, Ray Solomon, Billy Sullivan, Colin
Sullivan, Keith Tweddle, Lynn Yates;
Manchester United F.C. - David Smith (Team Manager), Tony Blair,
Dave Bradbury, Phil Burslem, Cliff Butler, Trevor Butler, Yvonne Butler, Clare
George, Joyce Goldstone, Lesley Peters, Alan Redfern, Mark Redfern, Mike
Royle, Anne Smith, Pete Solski, Paul Wilcox, Jane Williams, Terry Williams.
Games (Official Titles): Sack Squeeze, Rotary Goal, Smooth Dresser, Roll-Up Race, A Mere
Trifle, Box Burst, Trouser Twins and Kleptomania;
Reserve Game: Hop to Swap.
Results and Standings
Manchester United F.C.
Garston, a district with its southern border on the
River Mersey, is located in the south of the city of Liverpool in the county
aerial photograph of Garston Docks
In medieval times, Garston was home to a group of Benedictine
monks with the first recorded mention of settlement being the Church of St.
Michael in 1235. By the 19th century, the area had become a small village, one
of the eight townships forming the parish of Childwall.
A small dock was first built at Garston in 1793 for
Blackburne’s Saltworks, which still stands today. Garston's growth accelerated
rapidly in the 1840s, when in 1846, the area's first dock was constructed and
opened, under the auspices of the St. Helens and Runcorn Gap Railway Company.
The ‘Old Dock’ was followed twenty years later by a second, the ‘North Dock’.
In 1902, Garston was incorporated into the City of Liverpool and a third and
final dock, Stalbridge, was opened in 1907.
Today, Garston is a major shipping and container port, second
only to Liverpool Docks in the north-west. Although inside the city of
Liverpool, Garston Docks is not a part of the Port of Liverpool and is
regarded as a separate port. Much of the area is also residential, housing
being mainly in Victorian terraces with some semi-detached homes around
Liverpool South Parkway. It is partnered with the nearby district of Speke in
a series of redevelopment and regeneration schemes, which have succeeded in
reversing recent trends in dereliction and unemployment. Garston is regularly
quoted as one of Liverpool's 'up and coming' areas because of this, and house
prices have continued to rise.
Garston is home to Liverpool South Parkway railway station, a
major interchange station operating trains at regular intervals not only to
the city centre, but to Southport, Manchester and Birmingham.
Many notable people have hailed from Garston including
Liverpool footballer John Aldridge, television personality Les Dennis,
singer/songwriter Billy Fury (1940-1983), trade union leader Jack Jones
(1913-2009), actress Rita Tushingham and Brookside actor and presenter
South Liverpool F.C. Football Ground (Holly Park)
The venue for this competition was Holly Park, the home ground
of South Liverpool Football Club, located on Woolton Road in Garston.
The dilapidated ground of Holly Park, home of South Liverpool
before its demolition in 1991
The history of the club, known locally simply as South, dates
back to 1897 when the club were originally called African Royal F.C. They
played their games at Grafton Street and in 1911, they joined the Lancashire
Combination League Second Division. For the 1912-13 season, the team were
promoted to the First Division, but the competition was suspended following
the outbreak of World War I in 1914. After the war, and under the influence of
William James Sawyer (1870-1940), the club changed its name to South
Liverpool. It played its games at Grafton Street for two more seasons before
relocating to Dingle Street in Wallasey, on the Wirral peninsula, in 1921. It
was at this time the club’s name was changed to New Brighton A.F.C. New
Brighton assumed South Liverpool's official Lancashire F.A. registration, most
of the club's staff, all of its debts (reportedly around £200), and the team's
place in the Lancashire Combination for 1921-22. Therefore, New Brighton F.C.
was a legal continuation of South Liverpool F.C. and the club no longer
The second South Liverpool F.C. was formed by a group of local
businessmen in 1934 following the acquisition of Holly Park, in the south of
the city. The club joined the Lancashire Combination with immediate impact,
winning it three years running, in 1937, 1938 and 1939. The team were also
crowned Welsh Cup winners in 1939 after beating Cardiff City 2-1. The club
applied regularly for election to the Football League. The idea was to have
another leading club in the Liverpool area. Even in 1939, however, after South
Liverpool won four trophies, the club only attracted 5 votes at the Football
League AGM election - way behind the two re-elected Third Division North
clubs, Accrington Stanley (29 votes) and Hartlepools (38). Incidentally, even
further behind South Liverpool in that election was Wigan Athletic, a club
that attracted no votes at all but which has since been accepted, rising as
high as the Football Association's Premier League. In all, South Liverpool
applied to join the Football League on ten occasions, always without success.
Hostilities were again to intervene in the club’s history with
the outbreak of World War II in 1939. The club joined the Western Section of
the Cheshire County League for one season before war stopped the competition.
The club's greatest team were disbanded, and South Liverpool did not compete
again until 1946, after which the career of the club was divided equally
between the Cheshire League and the Lancashire Combination. In September 1949,
Holly Park hosted the first match in the UK to be played under "permanent"
floodlights, a friendly against a Nigerian XI (the first Nigerian side to tour
the UK). The final score was 2-2, with the official attendance recorded as
13,007. The match was covered for BBC Overseas Service (now World Service) by
Kenneth Wolstenholme, who would later earn fame for his “They think it’s all
over. It is now” commentary on the FIFA World Cup Final of 1966. After a
season in the Second Division of the Lancashire Combination, South Liverpool
were promoted to the First Division at the first attempt, but were relegated
back to the Second Division in 1960 after finishing in bottom place. South
Liverpool gained promotion again in 1962 and won the Lancashire Combination
First Division championship in 1966. The club had also been relatively
successful in the FA Cup, reaching the first round eight times and the second
round twice, though the only time they achieved a "giant-killing" feat was
when they defeated Halifax Town in 1964-65.
Under the managerial skills of Alan Hampson the club’s second
greatest team was formed and they swept to the 1966 Combination title. In
1967, the 40-year-old Hungarian born football legend Ferenc Puskás (1927-2006)
guested for the club in a fundraising friendly match at Holly Park which
attracted a sell-out crowd of 10,000. As one of the more successful non-League
clubs in northern England, South Liverpool was invited to join the newly
formed Northern Premier League in 1968. However, this was to be the final time
the club would see success and stayed out of the limelight for the next 20
Following a fire in 1989 at the clubhouse, which had proved to
be a very profitable asset, the club had to move and shared a ground with
Bootle F.C. at Bucks Park. The club remained in the Northern Premier League
until 1991, when the South Liverpool Athletic & Association Football Club Co.
Ltd., the limited company which owned the club and the old ground, encountered
financial problems, forcing it into liquidation, leading eventually to their
being sold off. The old Holly Park ground is now the site of the impressive
Liverpool South Parkway station which opened in 2006, but sadly no trace of
the old ground exists on the site, apart from one road named Holly Farm Road
Returning Teams and Competitors
Eleven members of this victorious Manchester United Supporters
team - Dave Bradbury, Phil Burslem, Cliff Butler, Trevor Butler, Yvonne
Butler, Clare George, Joyce Goldstone, Anne Smith, Paul Wilcox, Jane Williams
and Terry Williams - had participated in the It’s A Cup Final Knockout
programme in 1976 when Manchester United had also beaten Southampton by 14-12.
The recording of the 1977 It's A Knockout domestic series took a brief
break between Heat 5 on Sunday 8th May (at Camberley, Surrey) and Heat 6 on
Sunday 22nd May (at St. Albans, Hertfordshire). This was to allow for the
recording of this special Cup Final edition of It's A Knockout on
Sunday 15th May.
To avoid confusion and any doubt, Manchester United supporter
Tony Blair was not the one that was Great Britain’s Prime Minister between
1997 and 2007!
in Colour • This programme exists in the BBC Archives
JSFnetGB Series Guide pages researched by
Alan Hayes, David Hamilton, Neil Storer, Christos Moustakas, Philippe Minet,
Sébastien Dias, Ischa Bijl, Paul Leaver and JSFnet Websites