This year, the Winter Interneige series heats were held at one venue instead of two as had been the norm since 1965, but for fairness, the Winter Final was held at neutral venues in both of the two competing countries. Akin with the main Jeux Sans Frontières series in 1967, the neutral jury which had overseen proceedings in Interneige for the previous three years was no longer used, with the scores being confirmed by mainstay referee Gennaro Olivieri. It was also to be the last series until its return eight years later at the start of the 1976 season. The Jeu Divisée (The Divided Game) was introduced into some of the Winter heats this year.

On the British Domestic front, no sooner had new presenter Katie Boyle joined the programme to co-host with David Vine, she upped sticks and left it after a disagreement with producer, Barney Colehan. Another presenter, Maggie Clews, also joined the programme briefly during the 1968 series and covered for  Boyle at two Domestic Heats (the third and fourth) when her colleague proved unavailable. Additionally, due to unforeseen circumstances, the BBC was forced to hurriedly stage an extra Domestic heat when the final qualifying place for the International Series was thrown into confusion by two teams, Cheltenham Spa and Torbay, achieving identical highest losing scores (the criteria used to decide the last qualification place).

Meanwhile, it proved to be a difficult year on the continent owing to student riots that broke out in Paris, the original planned venue of the French International Heat, in early May 1968. These events first caused the relocation of the French heat to Épinal, situated to the north east of the country in the Moselle region close to the West German border. However, as the riots continued into late May and early June, spreading to towns and cities outside Paris, it was decided not to risk holding a 'live' event in France. It was considered that such an event may be sabotaged by the protesters with the resulting scenes causing embarrassment for France in front of an international audience, so the event was cancelled completely. The straw that broke the camel's back was when technicians and staff of ORTF became embroiled with the situation and went on strike. French teams continued to participate, but the programmes were not transmitted in France. The West Germans stepped in to help with Jeux Sans Frontières, which resulted in them staging two consecutive International Heats!

Already having won four International Heats out of the six staged and not to be outdone, the West Germans ended the year by achieving the first and ONLY ‘treble’ in Jeux Sans Frontières history. After two victories in 1966 and 1967, they lifted the Golden Trophy for the third year in succession at the International Final held in the beautiful city square in Bruxelles / Brussel, Belgium. However, they were not finished yet and went one better in 1969.

JSFnetGB Series Guide pages researched by
Neil Storer and Alan Hayes
with Ischa Bijl, Julien Dessy, Sébastien Dias, David Hamilton, Denis Kirsanov, Paul Leaver, Philippe Minet,
Christos Moustakas, David Laich Ruiz, Marko Voštan and JSFnet Websites